Unable to log on

Jonathan Kaye jdkaye10 at yahoo.es
Fri Aug 17 17:41:33 UTC 2007

Mike Leech wrote:

> I am unable to log on to Ubuntu desktop.
>
> I have been using Ubuntu as my main computer for over a year now.
>
> My current configuration is:
>     Ubuntu-desktop version 7.04
>     Celeron processor running @ 2.4 Ghz
>     40 Ghz HD
>
> I get a message:
>     "GDM could not write to your authorization file. This could mean you
> are out of disk space or that your Home directory could not be opened
> for writing. In any case, it is not possible to log in. Please contact
> you system administrator."
>

> I have be using SBackup on my system. It is configured to do a
> differential backup for six days followed by a full backup.
>
> My guess is that I have failed to remove old backup files and that my my
> HD is filled.
>
> Can someone help.
>
> Thanks - Mike
Hi Mike,
You can boot up with a Live CD such as Knoppix, which doesn't depend on your
HD and do the clean up from there. Maybe Ubuntu's live CD works too but I
haven't tried it. I know Knoppix works. Once Knoppix is booted up and you
have your desktop you'll see a desktop icon for your HD you can mount that
by clicking on it and get rid of the stuff that's taking up all the room.
Then reboot into your normal system and the problem should be fixed (if it
is lack of diskspace).
Cheers,
Jonathan
Please do not send me copies of list mail. I read the lists. Thanks!