How to configure a default soundcard

kpfuser kpfuser at yahoo.com.sg
Fri Aug 17 15:46:23 UTC 2007

Charles,

It worked! Although the command cat /proc/asound/modules
still returns 1 snd_usb_audio, Extigy works and the alsamixer GUI lists Extigy at the top. So far so good, except for one thing: I have no clue as to what the steps I went through really mean. It seems to me that I created the file /etc/asound.conf (it was empty before entering the text you supplied) and then added some configuration data that are completely incomprehensible to me. Could you be kind enough to let me know the meaning of each line of text entered into /etc/asound.conf?

Thanks!!

Charles philip Chan <cpchan at sympatico.ca> wrote: "Charles philip Chan"  writes:

>    pcm.!default {
>        type hw
>        card 1
>    }

Oops forgot one stanza, the whole thing should be:

pcm.!default {
       type hw
       card 1
}