Help in desktop shortcut + root access

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Aug 17 13:10:44 UTC 2007

Nils Kassube wrote:

> Ramprasad wrote:
>> I installed a custom application as a local user.
>> The desktop shortcut is created only for the root user.
>> The local user must be able to access the desktop shortcut which is in
>> root or been written to the local user desktop itself.
>> Do we have some helper script to do this or is there a way in ubuntu
>> that can allow desktop applications to be launched with root
>> credentials ?
>> How can this be done ? Please reply in verbose.
>
> The application should be installed SUID root.

Why?  It's unlikely that just any application needs to be SUID root. Well
written apps don't.

> Then it can be run by any user.

We install apps "as root", because putting links into the bin directories
and such require root access, but the app itself rarely runs suid root.

> Then create a desktop shortcut for the user and try if it works.

No, the only problem I see is that he installed _as_ root, and the app
(presumably not an Ubuntu package) created a .desktop file on root's
desktop.  He probably needs to get the .desktop in /usr/share/apps
or /usr/share/applink, somewhere (I don't gnome...).
--
derek