LDAP, ActiveDirectory and the death of Linux at corporate

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Thu Aug 16 04:18:18 UTC 2007

Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-08-15 at 13:59 -0500, Brian Fahrlander wrote:
>

>>      It's fabulous; I'm happy for your help. It'll only take a handful
>> of us, in total, to get the ball rolling!
>
> I have set up OpenLDAP using the NIS schema from PADL and the various
> auxiliary bits and pieces (nss_ldap, pam_ldap) for a complete
> authentication system with replicated slave servers. Authentication was
> at the granularity of an individual host or group of hosts...

     For those of you interested in LDAP, I've made some small changes
to the LDAP pages in the wiki:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LDAPClientAuthentication (Client side)
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenLDAPServer           (Server side)

     I'm trying not to step on any toes; we're lucky to have the hard
work someone put into these pages, but they need more love.

     What I'd like to do is get more detail on a client that uses
host_attr checking.  I used to have it here, back when my schema was
fouled and things weren't done so cleanly, but I've had trouble
recreating that...and the howtos don't work quite the same on Feisty.

     Can someone send me that part, or post it there please?
  Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
  Evansville, IN                              http://Fahrlander.net/brian
  ICQ: 5119262                         AOL/Yahoo/GoogleTalk: WheelDweller