Cant play dvd's

James Takac p3nndrag0n at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 00:42:06 UTC 2007

On Thursday 16 August 2007 04:32:31 cj wrote:
> galt wrote:
> yes im using VLC. Im testing it on mplayer and so far i can squeeze only
> 1 frame out of it
>
> --cj
>
> > tried vlc?
> >
> > cj wrote:
> >> thats just it, i cant play them. all my dvd regions are correctly set (i
> >> live in the US, so my region is 1)
> >>
> >> However, when i go to play the dvd (which i use vlc player for that), it
> >> gives me the following:
> >>
> >> libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
> >> libdvdnav: DVD Title: SIMPSONS_S2_D1
> >> libdvdnav: DVD Serial Number: 2C835F17
> >> libdvdnav: DVD Title (Alternative): SIMPSONS_S2_D1
> >> libdvdnav: Unable to find map file
> >> '/home/debian/.dvdnav/SIMPSONS_S2_D1.map' libdvdnav: DVD disk reports
> >> itself with Region mask 0x00fe0000. Regions: 1 libdvdnav: Suspected RCE
> >> Region Protection!!!
> >> libdvdnav: Suspected RCE Region Protection!!!
> >> [00000280] main playlist: nothing to play
> >>
> >> what do i do?
> >>
> >> --cj

Hi cj

The first thing that stuck out 4 me was the mention that encrypted dvd support
was unavailable which suggests the dvd decryption libraries aint setup.
Check if libdvdcss2 and libdvdread3 are installed. Apart from that I generally
use xine or gxine to play dvds on my systems. It has the habit of telling you
whats missing when it is

James