auth.log showing attempted access

Felipe Figueiredo philsf79 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 15:47:53 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 15 August 2007 10:29:19 Miano, Steven M. wrote:

> Unfortunately this is part of being connected to the internet. The
suggestions already given are a great start. I too use fail2ban, as well as
iptables, and moved the port from 22 to 2222. They can still scan and find
your ssh ports though - however, it will dramatically reduce the amount of
knocks your receiving on that box. I would definitely double check and make
sure that you have only the required shell accounts listed in your allow
file, and root disabled as a login through ssh.

> Best of luck mate!

Second that. What I also did, for my home computer (as well as fail2ban) was
to only allow ssh keys authentication, and lock the login availability to a
coulple of users. This way I'm pretty much secure, as long as I can trust the
remote servers where my keys are stored. Since I do trust (I am the admin
them alone) I also enable ssh-agent and disable the knownhosts hashing, so I
can bash-auto-complete hostnames and only type the passphrase once. Security
and practicity.

Concerning the other question, I usually email the abuse addresses available
in whois queries, but don't usually get replies. Good luck. I decided to
black list IPS's ip ranges (also available in the whois query), when I don't
get answers, and attempts get repetitive. I automated this process by a
separate script that loads the IPs/ranges to a particular chain in iptables,
and flush it frequentely and re-add everything, without disrupting the
ordinary rules. It's easy and functional, so I recommend you do.

Also, take a look in fwlogwatch and other NIDS' that can create block rules
based on network activity, together with fail2ban that blocks based on log
activity.

regards
FF