"resolv.conf" question

Markus Schönhaber ubuntu-users at schoenhaber.de
Wed Aug 15 14:25:45 UTC 2007

Soo-Hyun Choi schrieb:

> I have installed and configured "dnsmasq" for caching DNS locally. After
> that, I inserted "nameserver 127.0.0.1" to "resolv.conf" file. But, the
> resolv.conf file is keeping changed without my intention, which means
> "nameserver 127.0.0.1" is continuously removed from the file.  I am using a
> cable Internet service with DHCP IP allocation from an ISP (Internet Service
> Provider).
>
> I can only guess that the renew process of my IP from the ISP is involved
> somehow to remove the "nameserver 127.0.0.1" from my resolv.conf file. Is
> there any way that I can fix the "resolv.conf" file with my intended
> contents?

If you're using dhclient to receive an IP address from your ISP you
might take a look at /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf. There you can tell
dhclient what to request from your provider's DHCP server.
For me the relevant part of the file looks like this:

request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
        domain-name, domain-name-servers, host-name,
        netbios-name-servers, netbios-scope;

You may want to remove "domain-name-servers" from that.

Regards
  mks