ubuntu/kubuntu is sloooooooow!

Denis Witt abuse at hausundhof.com
Wed Aug 15 11:26:50 UTC 2007

Mario Vukelic schrieb:

> What are the specs of the machine? What does "slow" and "fast" mean? Can
> you give timings for specific tasks?

I'm running Ubuntu (Gutsy with GNOME) on my Z61m Thinkpad (Core 2 Duo
2,0GHz). A friend of mine is using Archlinux (KDE) on his HP Notebook
(Core 2 Duo 1,8GHz). I've not exakt timings but in most cases ArchLinux
is about twice as fast as Ubuntu. OpenOffice startup is about four times
faster but i'm unsure if it is the same version.

I've even done some testing using Ubuntu with KDE, same result. Ubuntu
speed is ok for me, but compared to ArchLinux i feel like using an
really old machine and i may switch to ArchLinux soon. But thats only
because Ubuntu exists, i don't think i would had switched to Linux as my
main OS without it.

Bye for now!