Cannot Sudo

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Aug 13 18:38:18 UTC 2007

Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 14:13 -0300, L. Richard Cameron wrote:
>> Whenever I try to "sudo" I get the reply "Administrator is not in the
>> sudoers file. This incident will be reported." The passwords that I
>> used have been changed and the fellow who did it all is not
>> forthcoming  with them (or any help).
>
> Go here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCdRecovery
>
> Read and follow sections "Lost Password" and "Add User to a Group" (add
> your user to group "admin").

Without the LiveCD you should be able to boot to single user mode and change
your group. If the person who's left you in this state has removed that
from the boot menu, no problem - just tab to the regular boot option,
press "e" to edit, add the word "single" to the "kernel" line,
press "enter", then "b" to boot.  Once into the CLI, add your own username
to "admin".  Essentially, short of encrypting everything, he can't block
you out of your system if you have physical access.
--
derek