reformatting a disk for windows98

Joel Bryan Juliano joelbryan.juliano at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 07:40:03 UTC 2007

On 8/12/07, Brian Beattie <beattie at beattie-home.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-08-11 at 22:44 -0500, Linda Hanigan wrote:
> > I have an unused computer setting around that has unbuntu installed on
> > the hard drive. I replaced it with a newer and faster computer. My son
> > really wants to play his sisters old win98 games. Since I still have a
> > Win 98 CD for the computer I thought about reinstalling win 98 on it for
> > him. Does anybody know what I have to do to reformat the drive as a
> > vfat?
> >  I assume boot from cd and run
> > mkfs.vat /dev/hda
>
> If you wipe out the partition table Win98 will install itself.
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda count=100 will zero out hte first 100 blocks
> of the disk which should do it.

You can also create a bootable DOS formatted floppy disk or bootable DOS USB
under Linux,
you need to download the bootdisk images from bootdisk.com, or freedos.org,
usually .EXE files are just zip files, that you can unzip them to obtain the
.IMG or .IMA files.

For floppy, do

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/fd0 bs=1024
mkdosfs -I /dev/fd0
dd if=DOS.IMG of=/dev/fd0 bs=1024

For USB, you need to download the mbr package "sudo apt-get install mbr",
then make sure your USB drives are unmounted before doing any operations.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
<re-plug USB><unmount every automatic mounts>
mkisofs -I /dev/sda
install-mbr --force /dev/sda
fdisk /dev/sda (then create a new FAT partition, set it as bootable)
<re-plug USB><unmount every automatic mounts>
mkisofs -I /dev/sda1

mount the IMG file into a directory, example /mnt/
mount -o loop DOS.IMG /mnt
then mount /dev/sda1
cp -R /mnt/* /mount/disk/
unmount everything.