Recovering data from bad hard disk sectors ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Sun Aug 12 09:45:25 UTC 2007

Okay, I pulled the drive from the freezer this morning, and it didn't
imporve things whatsoever... but it didn't worsen them the slightest bit
either, it just behaves exactly as it did before going in the freezer.

Anyway, I read all your suggestions, experimented, and it all looks
like a real/genuine hardware/bad sector problem, not something made by
DMA or a funky fsck or ext3. I tried all Ubuntu Live CD's dating back
from Warty, and all kernel at boot, spit the same bad sector and
buffer I/O errors.
So, it looks like what it says on the tin: bad sector in my home
partition, period.
So I will do what was suggested, buy new drives, make an image of the
disk (or at least the damaged partition), and try to work on that image
using the links you kindly provided....
The coming days/weeks are going to be busy reading and experimenting, I
feel...
In the meantime, I will think of a "strategy" to secure my soon to start
growing again, data, in orde to never live again this disaster...

Thanks for all for your help, was much appreciated...

Regards,

--
Vince