BAAAAAD problem with Feisty kernel

jack jdangler at terremark.com
Sun Aug 12 01:25:05 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-08-11 at 20:00 -0400, Michael T. Richter wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-11-08 at 11:38 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> > > Aside from ferm appearing out of nowhere and clamping down all services
> > > but SSH, my Feisty "upgrade" has done something really anti-social.
>
> > ferm didn't appear "out of nowhere". It's only available from the
> > Universe repo and is not automatically loaded in Feisty. I have multiple
> > machines that have been upgraded from Dapper ==> Edgy ==> Feisty
> > (including a LAMP server) and *none* of them have ferm installed. So,
> > the *only* way that 'ferm' could appear on your machine is if you
> > installed it.
>
> Sorry to burst your bubble, but ferm really did appear out of nowhere.
> I have a full rsynced backup of my Edgy system.  There was no ferm on
> it anywhere.  There is now.  The only thing I did between then and now
> was a system update.  The system update, one can infer, is the one
> that put ferm in there.  I hadn't even heard of ferm before I had this
> problem.
>
> > After the upgrade there will a billion updates, so make sure that you
> > have all of those installed.
>
> I updated from a local mirror of the whole ubuntu archive, not from
> disk.  That cut out the middle-man step.  ;)
>
> --
> Michael T. Richter <ttmrichter at gmail.com> (GoogleTalk:
> ttmrichter at gmail.com)
> When debugging, novices insert corrective code; experts remove
> defective code. (Richard Pattis)
> plain text document attachment (ATT784911.txt), "ATT784911.txt"

I did a system update to my current kernel and also don't see ferm
anywhere... here's what locate shows on my box...

jack at TMRK-Nebo:~$ locate ferm
/usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/actions/music_fermatenote.png
/usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/22x22/actions/music_fermatenote.png
/usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/32x32/actions/music_fermatenote.png
/usr/share/icons/mono/scalable/actions/music_fermatenote.svgz

However, I can attest to having the problem with my wireless since the
update.
Since that upgrade, every time I boot up, I no longer have the wireless
signal indicator on the desktop.  The wireless does connect for about 20
minutes, but degrades over that 20 minutes to the point where it just
stops responding altogether.  Stopping and restarting networking doesn't
seem to help.  A reboot of the OS will reset this condition, but only
for the same short period of time.

It could be coincidental, since in my temporary quarters, there is a
Belkin 54g router, and in my old diggs I used my linksys wireless
router, which seemed to be much more reliable.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Jack Dangler