reformatting a disk for windows98

Brian Beattie beattie at beattie-home.net
Sun Aug 12 04:08:25 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-08-11 at 22:44 -0500, Linda Hanigan wrote:
> I have an unused computer setting around that has unbuntu installed on
> the hard drive. I replaced it with a newer and faster computer. My son
> really wants to play his sisters old win98 games. Since I still have a
> Win 98 CD for the computer I thought about reinstalling win 98 on it for
> him. Does anybody know what I have to do to reformat the drive as a
> vfat?
>  I assume boot from cd and run
> mkfs.vat /dev/hda

If you wipe out the partition table Win98 will install itself.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda count=100 will zero out hte first 100 blocks
of the disk which should do it.

--
Brian Beattie   LFS12947 | "Honor isn't about making the right choices.
beattie at beattie-home.net | It's about dealing with the consequences."