[Need testers] Conceal: an encrypted folder manager for Linux

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Fri Aug 10 10:14:08 UTC 2007

Kevin Dunglas wrote:
> Hi,
> a public version of my Summer of Code Project is available.
> It's a set of tools to encrypt directories on Linux and especially
> Ubuntu. It includes:

This may be off-topic, but your reasons for avoiding cryptsetup were not
completely valid.  Linux is not strictly limited to 7 loopback devices.
 As noted at http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_80_4006.shtm , an arbitrary
number can be created as neeeded.  Thus, an unlimited number of
cryptsetup volumes would be possible.

Cryptsetup volumes do have a specified size, but they can be resized
(e.g http://www.saout.de/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=ResizeLUKSPartitions).

I'm not completely happy with EncFS as a full encryption solution
because it leaks information (e.g. number of files, filename length,
size of each file, permissions, etc.).  Nevertheless, it looks like
you've made a great program, and perhaps Conceal could later be expanded
to use other backends.

Matt Flaschen