Is my hard drive dead?

Robert Fitzpatrick lists at webtent.net
Thu Aug 9 14:03:00 UTC 2007

Woke up this morning to a running Fiesty machine as every morning, but
my desktop would not fully load when logging in. I rebooted after a
couple of tries and now find problems with the HD. I am now booted up in
KNOPPIX and trying to determine if my HD is toast and I need to copy to
another drive. In KNOPPIX, my old fstab shows me that /media/hda4 is my
root partition and /media/hda5 is my /home, all other partitions are not
critical to boot, just backed up data and a previous OS on a couple of
other partitions that I cannot open. However, good thing, I can view and
edit and get clean fsck's on these two critical partitions. So, I
commented out all except those two, swap and devices in the
/media/hda4/fstab, however, I still get I/O errors when booting Ubuntu.
I even tried booting the prevoius OS on my Ubuntu grub menu initially,
but that partition is not even accessible via KNOPPIX, so I'm sure
something wrong there. Is there anything else to try or should I start
copying my accessible root and home partitions to a new drive? And if
the latter, do I just copy them to the new drive with swap and adjust
the fstab file?

Thanks in advance. Robert