Logitech Quickcam

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Wed Aug 8 23:42:28 UTC 2007

On 08/08/2007 10:37 AM, Thomas Kaiser wrote:
> Patton Echols wrote:

>>> Hello
>>>
>>> You can check here http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html if your cam is supported
>>> by the gspca driver and here http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/ for UVC cams.
>>>
>>> run "tail -f /var/log/kern.log" in a terminal and plug in your cam. If it gets
>>> detected you should see some messages about your cam.
>>>

>> Here is partial output:
>>
>> Aug  8 10:01:50 Mycroft kernel: [33074.152000] usb 4-3: new high speed
>> USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
>> Aug  8 10:01:51 Mycroft kernel: [33074.536000] usb 4-3: configuration #1
>> chosen from 1 choice
>> Aug  8 10:01:51 Mycroft kernel: [33074.536000] uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00
>> device <unnamed> (046d:09c1)
>>
>> This looks like I need a UVC Driver, yes?
>>

> This looks like the UVC Driver did recognize the cam. No need to install any
> driver anymore ;-)
>

>> The cam is also listed on the uvc page you sited, so that seems a
>> definitive answer.  Thanks for your help
>>

> Your cam is supported by UVC driver. Use luvcview
> http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca50x/Investigation/uvc/luvcview-20070512.tar.gz
> to test the cam.
>
> Most viewer application not (yet) able to use V4L2 devices :-( What is the
> desired use of this cam?

Ok, I tried to install luvcview using the instructions found here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingLogitechQuickcamPro5000OnEdgy
Even though for a different cam and system, I didn't see why it would be
wrong.  This is the instructions given:

wget http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca50x/Investigation/uvc/luvcview-20060920.tar.gz
 zcat luvcview-20060920.tar.gz |tar xvf -
 cd luvcview-20060920
 make
 make install
luvuview

Obviously I changed "20060920" to "20070512" at each instruction.

There were lots of warnings and errors generated and I have no idea what it meant.  The output that appeared in my terminal window is attached as a text file.

Does anyone who knows what this means have any suggestions for me?

Thanks

Patton