dual boot winxp installed afterwards

alex aradsky at ne.rr.com
Tue Aug 7 14:12:35 UTC 2007

larry shields wrote:
> James Takac wrote:

>>> I am running Feisty Fawn 7.04, and on one hard drive, what I did was too
>>> install WinXP FIRST!,
>>> then install Ubuntu...When it boots up Ubuntu's grub shows both XP &
>>> Ubuntu, it detected XP with no-problems what so ever...
>>>
>>> But if one installs Ubuntu, then XP you will have to go through alot to
>>> have grub see XP...
>>>
>>> My suggestion is to install XP as mentioned in the above FIRST...
>>>
>>> Larry
>>>
>>> --
>>> Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
>>> by Ubuntu ver 7.04 Feisty Fawn
>>> 73 de Larry/wd9esu 31yr's A.R.O.
>>>
>>> "This is Linux Country,
>>> on a quiet night you can hear
>>> WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"
>>>
>>> GPG Fingerprint: A4D2 BFC2 B21B 8F7A C336 EFDC 7039 3CA5 3332 076E
>>> Public Key available from subkeys.pgp.net
>>>

>> Hi Larry
>>
>> I would've had the original intention been to have windows on it. It was going
>> to be an ubuntu only sys but his needs changed as it were
>>

> No problem James - - My suggestion was the way I've done it, but as some
> one else gave a site to go to to show you how to do it the otherway...
>
> That was new to me, now I've learned something too... ;-)
>
> Larry

The problem here is that  if you install Windows XP after installing
UBUNTU, UBUNTU's GRUB has no way of knowing that Windows XP has been
installed.  That's why it's better to install Windows XP before
installing UBUNTU.... An entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst  for Windows XP is
automatically created during the UBUNTU installation if Windows XP has
already been installed.

Other than reinstalling UBUNTU after Windows XP has been installed,  you
can  try  to edit  /boot/grub/menu.lst  in UBUNTU  and  insert an entry
to boot Windows XP .

Run an editor to get /boot/grub/menu.lst and type the following:,
preferably just before the entry for UBUNTU:

         title Windows XP    (hda1)
         root (hd0,0)
         chainloader +1

Do a   save or save as   to save the modified menu.lst.

alex