DD is not working

Felipe Figueiredo philsf79 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 22:49:41 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 01 August 2007 13:18:57 cj wrote:
> the subject says it all.
>
> I need to make some CD images because im borrowing some cds.
>
> I used "dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/home/debian/name.iso" and it gave me:
>
> dd: reading `/dev/cdrom': Input/output error

This usually happens if the CD is damaged.

Check for risks, and the label for scratches.

Make sure you can access every byte of data using other ways (try
md5sum /dev/cdrom with it unmounted, play audio tracks, copy files to the
HDs, etc).

> 0+0 records in
> 0+0 records out
> 0 bytes (0 B) copied, 0.0023667 seconds, 0.0 kB/s

It seems nothing at all was copied. Can you use this CD at all?

> I mounted the cd rom before running the DD command

Don't do this.

regards
FF
--
- Porque quebra a linha de leitura.
- Por que não é bom escrever o reply em cima do email?