GDM vs KDM - which is better?

eLists elists at iinet.net.au
Sat Aug 4 14:21:44 UTC 2007

Ed Smits wrote:
> Thanks for all the replies, but my basic question wasn't answered. The
> question isn't about which of the 2 desktops is better, but what the
> difference is between using either desktop manager. At present I am
> using GDM when running either Gnome (90% of the time) or KDE. Is using
> GDM warping my KDE experience, is there some way I can tell the system
> to use GDM when I log into Gnome and use KDM (or whatever the desktop
> manager is called that comes with KDE) when I log into KDE. I already
> have it set to restart my desktop manager whenever I log out, you
> would think it would be do-able.
>
> Conversely, if I set it to always use KDM would my Gnome sessions be
> adversely affected?
>

> ED
>
> On 8/3/07, scott <slewin at rogers.com> wrote:
>
>> Derek Broughton wrote:
>>
>>> but otoh we hate having
>>> desktops that casual observers could mistake for Windows!
>>>
>> That happened to me when I used Kubuntu.  I had someone thinking I was
>> using win XP.  I quickly corrected them :)
>>
>> Personally, when I choose between Gnome and KDE I simply wrote down
>> every KDE program I liked and every Gnome program I liked and selected
>> the one with more software I liked to use.
>>
>> --
>> Your friend,
>> Scott
>>
>> Sent to you from a Linux computer using Ubuntu Version 7.04 (Feisty Fawn)
>>
>> --

Fair enough, we didn't address your post, I did switch to KDM because
there was a bug that meant when using KDE/GDM the log out/off options
were reduced, switching to KDE/KDM solved that, I have noticed no other
difference.

When I go back to Gnome I am still using KDM, and I have not noticed any
difference.

Gerard