Long Time Samba No Work-Need Expert Help On SAmba/Networking-Ahhh, Some Success

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 02:02:52 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-30-07 at 23:45 -0700, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> . All default setups/conf files should just work out
> of the box(windows does,
Which Windows are you talking about here?  Many default Windows setups
don't even work with other versions of Windows - and never was any
concern given to working with an outside vendors product.....
Witness the millions of Windows help related groups out there.
And work for who as a default?  There's just too many options to make it
always work.  Who wants my way or the highway from their OS?

As for out of the box - I recently installed XP and Dapper on three
different machines back to back to back - Guess which ones worked 'out
of the box' and which ones didn't?  Drivers, licensing issues and codecs
were all much more time consuming with XP - and then I had to install
3rd party software like antivirus products before I could let them loose
on unsuspecting users....

When you have spent years using Windows it's easy to mistake hard earned
knowledge for 'easier' - the pain is often mostly forgotten.

Now on the other side of the fence Samba is a bit of a monster - it's
very powerful with many many options.  It could be dumber - it could be
easier - it could be set up brain dead out of the box - but the way it
is you can make it do what you want - not what the vendor wants.

Better tools require more commitment to learn.

I've often heard the 'if you want to take over the world' speech - I
think Bug#1 is b...aloney.   Who cares if Linux is #1?  I just want an
OS that will do anything I can dream of....  I'm willing to add some
manual reading and elbow grease to make it happen.

Brian

PS  OK - I have a cranky baby here - so I'm probably overly cranky
myself....  Sorry if this came out harsh....