feisty + ie4linux + jre

Vincente Aggrippino ghodmode at ghodmode.com
Mon Apr 30 16:30:01 UTC 2007

On 4/30/07, Tomoki Taniguchi <tomoki.taniguchi at gmail.com> wrote:

> For work reasons, I am trying to get IE running on Feisty with JRE.
>
> I have installed wine(0.9.33 version) through synaptic.
> then downloaded ie4linux and installed it.
> I confirmed that it runs.
>
> I pointed the IE browser to
> http://www.java.com
> I click on the jre download and tell it to run the exe instead of just
> downloading it.
> The install process completes without any errors.

Figuring it installed properly, restart IE and open a page which
> contains a java applet.
> And it still tells me i don't have a jvm installed.

Tomoki:
    You original issue is actually to get Sun's JRE running on wine.  This
is covered here <http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=6626> (
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=6626), but it's current
rating is "Garbage" and it ies4linux is just a script to help get IE running
smoothly on Linux using wine.

It doesn't look promising for JRE running under wine but the others on this
thread have offered some excellent options.  It's unusual that a Java Web
application would specifically require IE because one of the main goals of
Java is platform independence.  What Web site are you trying to use?

When you installed ies4linux, it created a custom set-up of wine
specifically for IE.  It doesn't use the standard directory ~/.wine for its
settings.  I think that it uses ~/.ies4linux/ie6, or something similar.

I like to install each of my Windows application in a separate wine instance
and I have found that the set-up which ies4linux creates is better and more
stable than the generic one wine creates on its own.  I just create any new
instance with cp ~/.ies4linux/ie6 ~/wine_new_prog_name.  Then I use
WINEPREFIX=~/wine_new_prog_name
winefile to install a program into the new instance.  I believe this is
similar to (but much harder) Crossover Office's "bottles"

-- Vince

Can anyone help me get JRE/JVM installed properly so IE will recognize it?