Two ubuntus, one doesn't display

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Mon Apr 30 16:15:03 UTC 2007

alex wrote:

> I suspect that the version that shows that notice has screen settings
> set to some frequency that's not acceptable by the LCD monitor.
>
> However, if I press Ctrl, Alt and F1, the screen does display a command
> request in terminal mode.  I suspect that if I could enter the proper
> commands, I could change the screen settings to something that would be
> acceptable to the monitor.

Login from the terminal mode console you found.  Use command:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

will create new settings for Xserver.  You should be able to accept all
default values to the prompts.  I think either --priority=medium or
--priority=high will just auto-generate the configuration without asking
you anything (same as a fresh install)