[OT] Astro Program

David B. Toth ve3gyq at amsat.org
Mon Apr 30 16:04:10 UTC 2007

At 11:39 AM 4/30/2007, Gilles Gravier wrote:
>I use TheSky on my PocketPC... but it is commercial software... and
>comes with a price... And honestly, at least on my PocketPC, it's
>far from being as good as KStars.

Well, can Kstars run on your PocketPC? I can control my Paramount ME
with TheSky PE running on my TREO 700wx via Bluetooth with a
Bluetooth serial adapter on the mount ... cool stuff ...

And yes, it costs something ... maybe it won't sell in the Linux
community because so many folks "seem to" equate running Linux with
having the software be free ... but it HAS customer support with real
people available, and a web-site that supports it, and a company with
programmers actively writing code ...

If it turns out that folks in the Linux community don't want things
like that, then I guess people won't bother writing code like that
... they'll stick with Windows and OS X.

At any rate, it was just a suggestion  ...

TheSkyX is a major upgrade that leverages OpenGL for fast screen
updates, etc. - part of the reason for trying a move to multi-platforms ...

At any rate, have to get ready for my real job .... got back last
nite from near New York City where the North East Astronomy Forum
(NEAF) was held.

Dave