Ubuntu releasing beta software???

Art Edwards edwardsa at icantbelieveimdoingthis.com
Sun Apr 29 01:38:05 UTC 2007

Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Saturday 28 April 2007, Art Edwards wrote:
>> The continuing frustration with feisty has led to this.
>>

> No frustration here and I've only been a *ubuntu user for a couple of months.
>
>> I received the following error
>>
>> libpng12-0_1.2.15~beta5-1_i386.deb size mismatch
>>
>> I then did a synaptic search on libpng and all packages in feisty, save
>> libpng3-dev have a "beta" in the name.
>>
>> Does it seem at all prudent to "Release" a distribution with beta
>> software, especially something so basic as libpng???

> Of course, that must be your 'hot button' and if it doesn't work right, the
> entire release is beta.....

My hot button is that if a piece of software doesn't work, or isn't
sufficiently tested, it shouldn't be "released."

>> If this arose because of a commitment to six month release intervals (no
>> matter what), I would suggest relaxing that goal in the interest of not
>> angering your user base.
>>
>> Art Edwards
>
> I see no problems whatever and have been a heavy linux user for the past 15
> years, so I do exercise a lot of the apps.

My difficulty is that I haven't been able even to test feisty because
the install has been completely stuck for four days. I am getting a lot
of size mismatches. This package is simply one of the packages that is
registering a size mismatch.

If you're interested, more later.

Art Edwards