Seeing the Kubuntu GUI from a Windows PC

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Fri Apr 27 03:16:59 UTC 2007

On 04/26/2007 06:59 PM, Rashkae wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 04/26/2007 11:49 AM, Pete Holsberg wrote:
>>> I would like to be able to run an XDMCP connection from my Windows PC to
>>> my Kubuntu PC so I installed Xmanager on my WinPC.
>>>

>> I don't use Kubntu, so I'm not familiar with it's GUI, however why don't
>> you instead use VNC on the Ubuntu box and UltraVNC on the Windows box
>> (see: http://www.uvnc.com/). Note: you can change the port settings on
>> both so that you don't use the default 5900 etc.
>>
> XDMCP gives much better performance on a local ethernet.

Perhaps XDMCP does, I've not tried it. However on my local system I'm OK
with about 2Mbits/s - I only need to have a reliable connection to
service each system, not try to run videos etc. From a remote standpoint
WRT windows I've found UltraVNC superb on all counts. I've seldom had a
glich or problem with it, the support & forums are excellent, and
they've addressed any security issues quickly.

http://secunia.com/search/?search=XDMCP
http://secunia.com/search/?search=Ultr%40VNC

I also manage multiple remote retail store (Windows based) locations
with UltraVNC running over hardwired router based encrypted VPN's and
I've yet to have the software barf on me like the commercial PCAnywhere
type products.

http://secunia.com/search/?search=PCAnywhere

Source code is also available on the site.