kernel question

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Fri Apr 27 03:04:33 UTC 2007

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 19:16:56 +0000
jerry <jerryturba at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> As someone who is learning the workings of Linux am I correct in
> thinking from what you  have said that I should always upgrade to a new
> kernel that is provided by Ubuntu and that I should not routinely use
> the old kernels?

it depends. Some kernel updates are for "local exploits" for example - if
you are not running an important network on which there might be users who
are untrustworthy, such an update is not strictly necessary, I guess. For
example, on a home network if you had such users family counselling might
be more appropriate ;-) Upgrading is still not a bad idea though, if there
is no pressing reason against it.

If you subscribe to ubuntu-security-announce at lists.ubuntu.com , you will
get mail explaining the purpose of security updates. You can also consult
http://www.ubuntu.com/usn

There are also changelogs for updates that you can consult, for instance
at http://changelogs.ubuntu.com , or subscribe to