log into x as root

Scott Lockwood scott at guppylog.com
Fri Apr 27 00:19:59 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 09:23 +1000, Peter Garrett wrote:
> somethin2cool <somethin2cool at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I just want the answer please.
>
> The answer, which you evidently do not want to hear, is "don't"  :-)

How about giving him the correct answer? It's not our place to tell him
how to use his system. He's been warned. Free means free from people
telling you how to run your system, too, doesn't it?

Sheesh.

If you are using Gnome,
      * Start Menu
              * Administration
                      * User and Groups

Here you will select root, and click on properties. Change the root
users password. Now exit from the application. Then from the
Administration menu I pointed out above:

                      * Login Setup Screen

Select the 'Security' tab, find the option box to allow local
administrator logins, and check it.

Log out. Log in as root. Done.

Now - I KNOW You've heard this already, but DON'T do this unless you
know exactly what you're doing. Or, be ready to lose all your data, have
to reinstall the OS, and be forced to shave your cat.

Ok, maybe not that last part, but the rest is all true.

More importantly, never, ever accept "don't" as an answer. That's just
pure <censored>, and is completely antithetical to the LINUX way of
things. Also, Google is your friend. I had no idea what the answer was
to this question, until I googled it. Took me less than 30 seconds.

--
Regards,
Scott Lockwood