Seeing the Kubuntu GUI from a Windows PC

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Thu Apr 26 21:40:55 UTC 2007

On 04/26/2007 11:49 AM, Pete Holsberg wrote:
> I would like to be able to run an XDMCP connection from my Windows PC to
> my Kubuntu PC so I installed Xmanager on my WinPC.

I don't use Kubntu, so I'm not familiar with it's GUI, however why don't
you instead use VNC on the Ubuntu box and UltraVNC on the Windows box
(see: http://www.uvnc.com/). Note: you can change the port settings on
both so that you don't use the default 5900 etc.

As an example; I am writing this from a Win2KP machine (that I'm doing
maintenance on) that is VNC'ed into a Feisty Ubuntu machine. I'm using
SeaMonkey on the linux machine to respond to your post.

For the linux machine (using Gnome - don't know abut Kubuntu):

System|Preferences|Remote Desktop|
 tick: Allow other users (both boxes)
  under security: Require the user to enter this password:
   enter a password.

You can then VNC into the box using UltraVNC. If you are on a local net
just enter the machine name, otherwise enter the IP address and port
number if you've changed it from 5900.

As in all remote connections, be aware of the security issues (at least
change the port numbers) and possibly explore using ssh or some other
encryption scheme if you plan to use RDP via the web.

As an added bonus; if you install the UltraVNC viewer on your Ubuntu
machine via WINE, you can then make use of the file transfer tool (note:
you can only do this when using UltraVNC to the Windows PC, you cannot
do it from the PC to the linux box).