Problems when booting up...

Larry Shields larry at isp.com
Thu Apr 26 13:20:55 UTC 2007

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Janne Jokitalo wrote:
>

>> Larry Shields wrote:
>>
>>> Ok Derek - - I just tried to  reinstall gdm, and it told me that gdm in
>>> not currently installed, so it will not be reinstalled.
>>>
>>> Why is this happening...???
>>>
>> Hi, I'm not Derek but I'm happy to help. :)
>>

> Hey, you sound just like me :-) - or at least how I would have sounded if
> I'd given the complete and correct advice!
>
>> Reinstall won't happen if a package wasn't installed in the first place.
>> You just simply install gdm like you would any other package.
>>
>> 'sudo apt-get install gdm'
>>

> Obviously, I should have pointed out that Larry might need to try both
> reinstall and install.
>
> As to "why is this happening?": the short answer is because gdm got removed
> from your system.  The only-slightly-longer answer is "I haven't got a clue
> how it happened, but gdm has obviously been removed from your system".
> Fortunately, that makes the cure a whole lot simpler than actually trying
> to diagnose it if it was installed but broken.

Good morning to all,

Yesterday what I did was install gdm using synaptic, but I did not try
it out until this morning...
Upon booting my system up, everything works PERFECTLY, it boots up as it
did when I first installed Ubuntu 6.10...

So thanks to everyone who had replied to my posting...GDM was the
problem and if it ever happens again I now will know what to do to fix
it... ;-)

Thanks Larry