Back to Win XP for camera?

squareyes squareyes at internode.on.net
Thu Apr 26 11:40:37 UTC 2007

H.S. wrote:
>> I have no idea of how to access camera from command line.
>>

> That is easy. Make sure you have dvgrab package installed. If not,
> install it first.
>
> Then try this:
> 1. Put a tape with some video in your camera.
>
> 2. Connect your camera to your computer with the firewire cable (also
> called IEEE1394 cable).
>
> 3. Switch on your camera in VCR mode.
>
> 4. on a command terminal, give this command:
> $> dvgrab myvideo
>

> This will start playing your camera and video will begin to be captured
> to your hard disk. To stop the capture, press CTRL+C. Then try playing
> your captured video, it should be named something like myvideo.avi.
>
> Let us know if the above doesn't work.
> ->HS

Hi, many thanks works very well, a bit jerky first capture, but had
other applications open, fine when they all closed,
easier than Windows :-)
I have Kino installed, have been transferring files from camera via a
memory stick from a neighbours XP,
now can do it all myself. He has an identical camera, but cannot be
converted to Linux :-)

I contacted Panasonic (South Australia), told them they very nearly lost
a sale,and suggested that they investigate possibility
of including info on dvgrab and Kino on their literature accompanying
their cameras, for Linux users, they sounded interested, we live in hope.
Again many thanks,
Take Care
Winton