Feisty wireless with orinoco

Bruce Badger bwbadger at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 08:18:06 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have just installed Feisty on a Thinkpad T21 that was running sarge.
 I am having a problem getting Feisty to use my trusty orinoco
wireless card.  I have worked through the troubleshooting guide here:

 https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessTroubleShootingGuide

... but to no avail :-(

Here´s what I see:

lshw shows the following (which looks fine to me):
*-network
       physical id: 1
       logical name: eth1
       serial: 00:02:2d:66:7e:9c
       capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=orinoco driverversion=0.15
firmware=Lucent/Agere 7.28 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11b

pccardctl ident (looks good too):
Socket 0:
  product info: "Avaya Communication", "Avaya Wireless PC Card",
"Version 01.01", ""
  manfid: 0x0156, 0x0002
  function: 6 (network)

iwconfig (again, just what I would expect for this network which uses
a very crude hidden ssid & MAC address filter and no encryption):
eth1      IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"setnet"  Nickname:"alice"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: 00:18:39:8A:68:73
          Bit Rate:2 Mb/s   Sensitivity:1/3
          Retry limit:4   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=42/92  Signal level=-52 dBm  Noise level=-94 dBm

Even wavemon shows everything working just as I would expect.

BUT when I try to start the network I get this:

DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 14
DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 11
No DHCPOFFERS received.

If I use a static IP config it appears to be applied (or so says
wavemon) but I can´t ping anything.  I get ¨no route to host¨.

It is as if there is a disconnect between the orinoco hardware+drivers
(which all look good) and the Linux socket stuff (which seems to be
unable to connect to the orinoco stuff).

Can anyone please point me to documentation I missed or perhaps give
me some tips?

Many thanks,
    Bruce
http://www.openskills.org/