Edgy->Feisty: option to download everything in advance?

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Wed Apr 25 17:06:22 UTC 2007

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 05:46:59PM +0100, Jonathan Hudson wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 11:44:15 +0100
> Adam Funk <a24061 at ducksburg.com> wrote:
>
> > On 2007-04-24, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> >
> > > My request for the same:
> > > https://bugs.launchpad.net/update-manager/+bug/108515
> >
> > I agree with you.
> >
> > > It seems that previously you could achieve that by using
> > > apt-get dist-upgrade -d, but that did not work for me for Edgy -> Feisty
> > > upgrade.
> >
> > Too bad --- it would be quite useful.
>
> apt-get -d dist-upgrade did the job for me.

That's interesting.  I'm quite certain I did not run apt-get
clean/autoclean myself.  Here's what I did:

  1. edit /etc/apt/sources.list, remove edgy sources, add feisty sources
  2. sudo apt-get update
  3. sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -d
  4. edit /etc/apt/sources.list, remove feisty sources, add edgy sources
     (I didn't want update-manager to get confused)

next day I ran update-manager and chose to upgrade to 7.04.  It started
downloading all the packages from scratch (du /var/cache/apt/archives
showed a measly 48 megs instead of the >900 megs dist-upgrade
downloaded).

What did you do differently?  I suspect my mistake was step 4.

Marius Gedminas
--
Bumper sticker: No radio - Already stolen.