Kernel Patch

John L Fjellstad john-ubuntu at fjellstad.org
Wed Apr 25 15:37:21 UTC 2007

"OOzy Pal" <oozypal at gmail.com> writes:

> Hmm, I don't know. Where is the kernel source located. What package
> should I install for the kernel source?

Well, depends on what you are trying to do.

If, as your original message said, you are patch the source, you need
the kernel source, which is named linux-source-X.X.X (X being the
version of the linux-image you have installed, probably 2.6.20).

OTOH, if the patch is merely trying to replace a given module, you only
need the kernel headers, which is named linux-header-X (where X is
either 386 or generic, depending on which kernel image you have
installed)

This really should be in the README file of the module you are trying to
install.

--
John L. Fjellstad