Was feisty really ready to release ?

Felipe Figueiredo philsf at ufrj.br
Wed Apr 25 14:10:54 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 24 April 2007 23:00:57 Keith Richie wrote:
> On 4/24/07, Ouattara Oumar Aziz <wattazoum at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Well, I'd disagree with Frank that they aren't stable (at least edgy - I
> > > still haven't tried feisty, but I have faith that it will be worth
> > > installing) but they're specifically not recommended for crucial
> > > applications - that comes with an implication that there will be
glitches
> > > that should not occur in Dapper.  If, as Frank, you really like
stability,
> > > the LTS versions are the way to go - and they still have a release
> > > frequency likely to beat Debian.
> >
> > Don't you agree that the flow of problem reported on this mailing list
> > increased drastically ?
> > (That's my impression at least :-/ )
> >

> > --
> >

> Flow of problem reporting increased? Not even close.
>
> I'm subscribed to this mailing list and a few Debian lists. Just the
> general Debian list (not the bugs list) has a 3:1 traffic ratio.
> Meaning that for every 100 posts here there a 300 in Debian.
>
> I can honestly say that over 80% of the errors I've seen reported for
> Ubuntu and Debian are PEBKAC errors.

Funny. In portuguese (at least in Brazil) we have for this parody
acronym "BIOS", which could be back-translated to english as "Ignorant Animal
Operating the System". Kids are so cruel...

Back on topic, I agree that most problems seem simple, but then again the
whole point of ubuntu as opposing to other distros is that it should "Just
Work", right? Few here doubt that Linux works. The problem is "with how much
work"?

I don't mean by this that Feisty or Ubuntu is not good. It's fine, and
probably usable in most situations. It's just "not there yet" for an
all-purpose system. Hence, the LTS releases, providing not only a stable
(as in non-changing) environment, but also providing stability as in a
rock-solid env (stable as in stable?).

regards
FF