Please find my 2G

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Mon Apr 16 00:43:43 UTC 2007

On Friday, 13 April 2007 at 13:56:06 +0930, Brian Astill wrote:
> On Friday 13 April 2007 11:32, you wrote:

[who knows who that is? Your (Brian's) MUA is set up to hide the
name.  But comparing the messages, this was Adam Hawes]

>> It seems that mc just copied to where you told it to copy.
>> It's not mc's place to read your mind to determine if the
>> partition should be mounted.
>>
>> When you eventually rebooted the partition was mounted and the
>> data in it shadowed the files that you'd copied there (that's
>> why you couldn't see the files you put there).
>>
>> Be very careful about pointing out that there's a bug,
>> specially given the lengthy discussion you've had trying to get
>> you to see the problem with your ways (several people here,
>> including me could see where your files would be).
>>
>> The fact that there was a fsck indicates the machine did not
>> shutdown or unmount the filesystem properly.  That's probably
>> because of the partition being full and some important process
>> not being able to write and then deciding not to close its open
>> files as a result (and hence preventing unmounting at
>> shutdown).  I do not see that there is a bug in mc here.
>>
>> You can head on over to tme mc bugzilla page and submit a bug
>> report, or post on their mailing list for all I care.  Better
>> buy an asbestos suit on the way because it looks to me like mc
>> is doing what it was asked to do without fail.
>>
>> Random arm flailing and noises made under the guise of
>> experience is not a substitute for actual experience.  Suck it
>> up as keyboard/chair interface breakdown and add it to your
>> list of things you are a better person because you learned
>> from.

I'm leaving all this here because I think it's valid.  You should read
it again.

> There is all the difference in the world between a number of people
> trying to help someone in trouble - and succeeding - and a
> smart-arse coming after it is all over to say he knew the answer all
> along.

I think the difference in what Adam said is that has finally sunk in
to you (Brian).  As others have said, your reaction is completely
inappropriate, given the amount of noise (and little signal) you have
made about the subject, and the lack of feedback about suggestions.
Here a couple of older messages to remind you:

On Sunday,  8 April 2007 at 23:30:38 +0930, Andrew Pam wrote:
> Brian Astill wrote:
>> BY deleting the "old" home directory I have freed-up 3G, but there
>> should be 5G+ free.  I have searched the hda partition and cannot
>> find 2G-worth of unwanted files anywhere.  Where ARE they?
>
> Hidden by the mount.  umount the new /home on hdb and you should see
> them under the mountpoint directory on hda.

Then you asked me personally, and I replied:

On Thursday, 12 April 2007 at 15:25:55 +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Thursday, 12 April 2007 at 14:05:42 +0930, Brian Astill wrote:
>> If you can also help me find the location of the files mc copied, so
>> I can delete them and free up another 2G or so, I'd be VERY
>> grateful!
>
> OK.  How about this:
>
> 1.  What file systems were mounted when you started your copy
>     operation?
>
> 2.  What was the copy?  A recursive copy of one directory hierarchy to
>     another?  What are the names of the source and destination
>     directories?
>
> 3.  If you mounted something on the destination directory after
>     running out of space, what do you find there when you umount it
>     again?

You didn't answer.

On Friday, 13 April 2007 at 11:05:54 +0930, Brian Astill wrote:
> On Friday 13 April 2007 10:01, Michael Cohen wrote:
>> do as root:
>> sudo umount /mnt/hda7
>
> Can't do that from within KDE - "device in use"
> However, last time I was in recovery mode I forced a fsck, which
> in turn required a further reboot and fsck.  On the basis that
> this might have fixed the problem I went into recovery mode
> again.
> This time I _could_  umount /mnt/hda7 and _did_ at last find the
> incomplete version of my home directory occupying 2G.

FINALLY you have done what people have been telling you all along.

> It seems MC did not close the copied directory when it ran out of
> space, thus making it "invisible".  That IS a bug, IMHO.

No, you still don't understand.  Given the history of this thread, I'm
not going to try to explain again.

This whole story leaves an unpleasant taste in my mouth.  It's become
clear to me that you have little understanding of how these things
work; that's forgivable.  What's not forgivable is to ask questions,
get replies, and ignore them.  And most certainly complaining after
the event because people know the answer all along is just stupid.
How many people do you think will try to help you next time you have a
problem?

Greg