Where is my 2G? - MC

Adam Hawes Adam.Hawes at adpro.com.au
Fri Apr 13 02:02:52 UTC 2007

> It seems MC did not close the copied directory when it ran out of
> space, thus making it "invisible".  That IS a bug, IMHO.

It seems that mc just copied to where you told it to copy.  It's
not mc's place to read your mind to determine if the partition
should be mounted.

When you eventually rebooted the partition was mounted and the
data in it shadowed the files that you'd copied there (that's why
you couldn't see the files you put there).

Be very careful about pointing out that there's a bug, specially
given the lengthy discussion you've had trying to get you to see
the problem with your ways (several people here, including me could
see where your files would be).

The fact that there was a fsck indicates the machine did not  shutdown
or unmount the filesystem properly.  That's probably because of the
partition being full and some important process not being able to write
and then deciding not to close its open files as a result (and hence
preventing unmounting at shutdown).  I do not see that there is a bug
in mc here.

You can head on over to tme mc bugzilla page and submit a bug report,
or post on their mailing list for all I care.  Better buy an asbestos
suit on the way because it looks to me like mc is doing what it was
asked to do without fail.

Random arm flailing and noises made under the guise of experience is
not a substitute for actual experience.  Suck it up as keyboard/chair
interface breakdown and add it to your list of things you are a better
person because you learned from.

Regards,