HID create error 13 (Permission denied)

Shahaf Abileah Shahaf at ShahafAbileah.com
Thu Apr 12 08:09:23 UTC 2007

I'm a Linux newbie.  I just installed Ubuntu 6.10 on my desktop PC.  It's a
dual boot now -- it also has Vista.

I have the "Microsoft Keyboard Elite for Bluetooth" keyboard and a
corresponding bluetooth optical mouse.  I'd like to figure out how to get
them to work on Ubuntu (right now I have a separate wired keyboard and mouse
plugged in, which is not as convenient).

After some digging around I found that I should use the "hidd --search"
command while holding the 'broadcast' button on the device to get it
registered.  However, I kept getting this error:

shahaf at ShahafHomeLinux:~$ hidd --search
Searching ...
        Connecting to device 00:0D:3A:A1:FF:46
HID create error 13 (Permission denied)

I searched around for this error and I didn't find much, only this:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2006-September/msg00943.html

I don't like the idea of disabling something called "security enhanced
linux", so I'd prefer to get whatever it is in Linux 2.6.18-1.2721 that
fixes the problem.  Is there an Ubuntu distribution that includes this newer
kernel?  Or is there a way for me to just get the specific bluetooth-related
fixes I need?  Or perhaps there's another way altogether to fix this
problem?

thanks!

--S