Wireless Strength Strength Monitor

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Tue Apr 24 11:47:05 UTC 2007

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 21:27:36 -0400
Donald iddings <iddingdj05 at comcast.net> wrote:

> 3) for the file script, looks like you are suggesting to make an applet?
> interesting but need more details on how to attempt this one

All I did here to try it out was to right click the panel, make custom
launcher, and enter the command for the "script" ( for example if you named
the script "wireless-scan" and put it in /usr/local/bin, you could enter
that name - or the full path) You can click the empty icon on the left and
choose an icon for  it, of course.

That was version 0.0.1 ;-) Version 0.0.2 has the additional hack below:

zenity --info  --text "$(iwlist eth1 scan | grep -v "<hidden>")"

 ... because zenity sulks and refuses to give any info if the essid is
hidden - it thinks <hidden> is a tag and tries to parse it from the
iwlist output.

Calling this a script is rather grand - it's just a one line command after
all :)

Peter