Edgy 2.6.10 taking tens of minutes to boot up

David Restall - System Administrator dave at restall.net
Tue Apr 24 08:23:06 UTC 2007

Hi Jaska,

>> Look for this line in /boot/grub/menu.lst:
>>
>> # defoptions=quiet splash
>>
>> Change that as you will, then update-grub will change the menu items
>> accordingly.

Snip...

> I've just edited menu.lst and done an update-grub and the changes stayed
> in place so I can't replicate the problem.  Hopefully, the changes will
> stay in place over the next kernel upgrade.

Today the machine booted with a black screen, no messages displayed so
I dug a bit deeper.  I'd left the line as :-

# defoptions=splash

so I changed that to :-

# defoptions=

i.e. I don't want a splash and I want a verbose boot.  Did an update-grub
and voila - the line is replaced with :-

# defoptions=quiet splash

and all the kernels get those options.  This is what I was seeing before.
It appears that update-grub puts those options in if it finds no default
options.  Now this isn't what I'd expect - though I must admit to not
being a grub guru (TM).  I would expect no default options to mean that,
dont add any options, I then tried the following :-

# defoptions=nosplash

and this seems to have worked fine.

Now, what was the original poster's question :-)

TTFN

ubuntu/users-2007-04-24.tx                     janne.jokitalo at dnainternet.net
                                               ubuntu-users
| Dave Restall, Computer Nerd, Cyclist, Radio Amateur G4 FCU, Bodger         |
| Mob +44 (0) 7973 831245      Skype: dave.restall             Radio: G4 FCU |
| email : dave at restall.net                     Web : Not Ready Yet :-(       |
| The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.                                |
|         -- Oscar Wilde                                                     |