Why doesn't Compiz work on an Ati card?

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Mon Apr 23 07:38:47 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 10:20 +0700, Chanchao wrote:
> I have an Ati Radeon card in my desktop comptuter. 9200SE I believe.
>
> I try to enable Desktop effects but it doesn't work.  I also checked the
> Restricted Drivers Manager but it says my card doesn't need them. (Is
> that true?)

As far as I know, this card has 3D-acceleration with the free radeon
driver. Check /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see if you indeed use it, and
everything is set up ok.

You did not explain how exactly compiz does not work? What happens?

> So should it work on an ATI card?  SHould I just go with Nvidia?

I have Xgl+Beryl running on an ATi X1300 with the proprietary drivers.
But a manual setup was required, and I still have some issues, as I
always had with ATi drivers -- they suck. Nvidia is slightly better, but
if you do not need the PC for gaming, go with the Intel cards, for which
free drivers exist.