How well Ubuntu (Feisty) works on a MacBook Pro

David Stubblebine dstubb.mylists at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 15:34:48 UTC 2007

> What are you saying by that? - That linux is not worthy of a decent
> computer? Or that OS X is better than Linux?

Neither.  If you look at the *guts* of modern Intel Macs, they are very
similar to what you would get if you bought a comparable PC notebook.
Don't make any mistake, I am a Mac guy in general, and my main computer
right now is a PowerBook running OS X.

Is OS X better than Linux?  Like anything, depends on what you use it for.
 But OS X certainly is different in that it is of a proprietary nature,
whereas it is still a "unix."

> Either way I have used OS X for the last 5 months on it, I'm getting fed
> up with trawling across the internet finding updates for my
> applications. Also I love the GNU software, which is mostly ugly in OSX
> (e.g. GIMP). In my opinion nothing beats apt for convenience.

Which goes back to my question.

> Personally I didn't get a MBP 'cause of OS X, I got it because I thought
> the build quality was outstanding. It's my first apple product, and it
> is really good. It would seem that I don't have much choice in the
> matter, I'm gonna have to stick with OS X, which isn't so bad.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do.  You said you wanted to run Ubuntu
full-time as your OS.  Personally having installed Ubuntu on PowerPC Macs
and PCs, I find the PCs much more trouble-free where Linux is concerned
but of course, your mileage may vary.