Switch to Ubuntu

Eamonn Sullivan eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 08:03:25 UTC 2007

On 4/22/07, Shawn McCuan <smccuan at gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be awesome is someone created an app for ubuntu that would
> allow you to switch your current desktop environment using a GUI...
>
> i.e: A simple app that lets you select/change your DE to Gnome, KDE, or
> XFCE...

That exists already. If you have both ubuntu-desktop and
kubuntu-desktop installed, you can choose KDE or Gnome in the log-in
screen (either gdm or kdm, depending on what you started with with). I
don't know if the same works with xubuntu. I've never tried it.
However, I had both KDE and Gnome installed here for several months,
to see which one the wife and kids preferred. (They overwhelmingly
preferred Gnome, but maybe just because they are used to it.)

For the original poster: To remove KDE, just uninstall the main KDE
libraries. Try uninstalling all of the kdebase* packages (in
synaptic). That'll take everything KDE-related with it.

-Eamonn