Back to Win XP for camera?

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 15:11:17 UTC 2007

squareyes wrote:

> Many thanks for that,
> camera has usb and firewire, but I don't have a firewire card.
> Will look into getting one Monday. (Running Dapper)

I don't suppose you can transfer the tape video data without a firewire
connection. Feel free to confirm it by reading the camera's manual. I
have been transferring my minidv videos from a Sony camcorder to my
Linux machines without any problems since the last few years.

> Last line of /var/log/syslog when camera connected using usb
> Apr 20 22:49:32 here kernel: [4295750.131000] usb 4-3: new high speed
> USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
>
> squareyes at here:~$ lsmod | grep raw
> serio_raw               7300  0
> squareyes at here:~$ lsmod | grep 1394
> scsi_mod              139496  1 libata

Not much help unless you have a firewire device connected and turned ON.

> squareyes at here:~$ groups
> squareyes adm dialout cdrom floppy audio dip video plugdev lpadmin
> scanner admin
> squareyes at here:~$

Looks good.

> Does that help? Otherwise will re-install XP to access video (no
> problems accessing card with Ubuntu) and either copy to
> memory stick and then use Ubuntu.

Well, if I this model requires firewire to transfer tape video to a
computer, XP will also be useless unless you have a firewire connection
to your camera.

So, get the firewire card and follow my earlier instructions again
*after* connecting the camera with firewire cable and switching it ON in
VCR mode. I don't see any reason why this shouldn't work.

->HS