2nd Network Card Configuration - Dapper

Bill Marcum marcumbill at bellsouth.net
Thu Apr 19 19:40:12 UTC 2007

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 06:20:15 -0700, Clint Tinsley
  <clintin at linuxmail.org> wrote:

> I can manually make it all work.  I have the second NIC configured in the
> interfaces as eth1 and properly defined but it won't come activate at
> boot time and DHCP services fail to start.  With it configured this way,
> if I do an ifconfig -a, the card is actually shown as eth2 with no
> configuration.  If I rem it out in interfaces, then reboot, un rem it,
> manually restart networking, it does come up as eth1 and I can start the
> DHCP services.  And I can verify this by pulling DHCP on another computer
> from this system which then works.

Do you have an /etc/iftab?  Ubuntu uses this file so interface names
will remain consistent, but it may "remember" interfaces that are no
longer present.  Here is an example (not my real mac address):

# This file assigns persistent names to network interfaces.  See iftab(5).
eth0 mac  00:14:BF:FF:FF:FF

--
Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in.
		-- Robert Frost, "The Death of the Hired Man"