Feisty and RT2500 Wifi card

Geoffrey Horn gwh at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Apr 18 20:51:34 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 18 April 2007 11:55:39 Tom Gederberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new Ubuntu user (I switched over from Fedora) and have a question
> about the new Feisty release.  It uses the 2.6.20 kernel which I believe
> breaks the RT2500 driver - I know this because when Fedora Core 6
> upgraded to the new kernel, the driver quit working and it would not
> compile with the new kernel.
>
> Has anyone confirmed whether the R2500 driver will work with Feisty.  My
> desktop only has a wireless connection.
>
> PS, I'm pretty glad I moved over to Ubuntu.
>
> Thanks
> Tom

I'm using this driver on Feisty and have experienced no problems. Main thing
is to remove the network-manager package because it prevents the ralink
inbuilt wpa-supplicant from working. Then configure /etc/network/interfaces
by hand. I use WPAPSK-TKIP encryption.

On the other hand another machine uses theRT61 driver and I have had problems
with it freezing the machine. Apparently it is something to do with SMP
enabled kernels (the norm). A recent development at serialmonley seems to
have fixed this problem in the RT61 cvs driver, and I believe also for the
RT2500 driver (though I don't experience this problem).

The latest cvs tarballs are supposed to have the fix and can be had over at:

http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php?title=Downloads

I don't think the latest Feisty drivers have this fix yet. For the RT2500
driver I can configure everything in /etc/network/interfaces but for the RT61
I have to use /etc/Wireless/RT61STA and configure it there. A google should
find a procedure for this.