how do i know i need a reboot after a console based "upgrade"?

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Wed Apr 18 21:58:19 UTC 2007

Florian Diesch <diesch at spamfence.net> wrote:

> "Tomoki Taniguchi" <tomoki.taniguchi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> when updating a system with the newest packages using the desktop
>> tools like synaptic,
>> if a package is upgraded that requires a reboot to take effect,
>> there is a little icon that shows up on the upper panel to let me know
>> i need to reboot.
>>
>> on a server system,  if i do a "sudo apt-get upgrade" or "sudo aptitude upgrade"
>> is there anyway to know i need a reboot?
>
> Check if /var/run/reboot-required exists after all packages are installed.

Sorry, it's only a part of the truth:

The kernel package executes
/usr/share/update-notifier/notify-reboot-required if it exists. The
package update-notifier provides a version of this script that creates
/var/run/reboot-required, you may create your own version of it.

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>