Problems playing Flash Video .flv files on Edgy Eft

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Wed Apr 18 17:19:48 UTC 2007

On 04/17/2007 03:32 PM, Rich Lott wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 April 2007 21:14:15 Peter Garrett wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 19:24:04 +0100
>> Does this not suggest a damaged file?
>
> Yep, but it's played happily on other systems (debian etch)
>

>> *.flv files play fine here on both dapper and feisty - ffplay plays them ,
>> but mplayer and co. use ffmpeg for flv anyway.
>
> Yep, seems everyone else can play them just fine! I really have no idea.
>
> Thanks anyway.
>
> rich

Rich, I have an Edgy system and am able to play .flv on Mplayer. The
only thing that I needed to do was to set my preferences to use the
ffmpmeg codecs for both video and audio. In order to determine that you
don't have a damaged file let's start with a common one; can you
download the Virginia Tech shooting video (or pick one of your choice
from a common source & let us know what it is) from Utube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HNrBd4kKMg

To download I used:
http://kej.tw/flvretriever/
 put http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HNrBd4kKMg in the url box
downloaded & changed the . extension to .flv
Instructed Mplayer to play the video & I get both video & sound.

As I said, pick another one if you want, I just want to make sure that
we sync on the same video so that we're working from a common file.

No run it from the terminal & post your output.

Gary