Bluetooth?

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Wed Apr 18 10:34:06 UTC 2007

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 05:47:51PM -0500, Scott Lockwood wrote:
> I'm trying to get my laptop to trust my Palm 700p and vice versa via
> bluetooth.

Currently that's more painful than it ought to be.

> I've read:
> http://www.penguintutor.com/tutorials/viewdoc.php?doc=linux-bluetooth-network
>
> and followed the directions therein. Neither from the Treo 700p, nor
> from the Ubuntu laptop in question, can I create the trusted
> relationship between the two devices. Anyone else run into this? The
> laptop is a Dell 640m Inspiron.
>
> Here's what the box shows:
>
> installed packages with the word 'blue' in them: (dpkg --get-selections
> | grep -v deinstall | grep blue | cut -f1)
>
> bluefish
> bluetooth
> bluez-utils
> gnome-bluetooth
> kdebluetooth
> kdebluetooth-irmcsync
> libbluetooth2
> libbluetooth2-dev
> libmultisync-plugin-irmc-bluetooth
> python-bluez
(snip)
> At this point, from the palm, I attempt to set the laptop as a trusted
> device. The palm tells me that it is unable to connect to scott-640m-0.
>
> Anyone run into this before?

Yes.

Install bluez-passkey-gnome and it might work.

Pairing works on my laptop (Ubuntu 6.10) when I initiate it from some
other device.  I do not remember exactly what I did to make it work.
For the reference, I have both blues-passkey-gnome and bluez-pin
installed, and my /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf has

  options {
    autoinit yes;
    security user;
    pairing multi;
    passkey "1234";
  }

I think installing bluez-passkey-gnome is enough, but if not, check the
rest.

Marius Gedminas
--
Give a man a computer program and you give him a headache, but teach him to
program computers and you give him the power to create headaches for others for