how do i know i need a reboot after a console based "upgrade"?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Apr 18 00:29:32 UTC 2007

Matthew Flaschen wrote:

> Gabriel Dragffy wrote:
>
>> But the few packages that do require a restart,
>> e.g. kernel updates, will only be installed when the command
>> 'dist-upgrade' is issued.
>
> That's incorrect.  The kernel is a normal package, and is updated by
> apt-get upgrade .

You might be half right.  I think there might actually be minor releases
that are versioned.

However, the linux-image* packages, depend on specific kernel versions.
When the virtual package is updated they change the dependency, so that it
depends on a new kernel.  This is to allow the old kernel to remain on the
machine, so that you don't end up with an unbootable situation.
--
derek