countdown to feisty release (with pending show-stoppers)

Stratos Laspas stratos at laspas.gr
Tue Apr 17 12:43:00 UTC 2007

On 17/04/2007 10:55, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Stratos Laspas wrote:
>
>> "Attention: Not to be used with RAID"
>>

> You don't think you *might* be overestimating the number of people this
> problem affects, do you?

Like I said, I was able to upgrade the very same system through the
update manager (gksu "update-manager -c -d"), so Feisty obviously does
work with RAID.

However, I have tried to install over 5 different daily cd releases,
before as well as after the beta, all unsuccessfully. When I wrote the
email I was just shocked that so close to release, not only could I not
make it work, I had to re-install edgy to get my system back.

I haven't tried the install CDs since I actually managed to upgrade (in
the way mentioned above). I know people are working hard to solve this,
maybe it is already solved by now, from what I see in launchpad (mdadm &
initramfs-tools related).

>> So, shouldn't there be a second advisory?
>>
>> "Attention: Not to be used by schools or in business environments"
>>

> You're definitely right here, though.  After all, without this one
> feature OpenOffice is entirely useless.  And without OpenOffice, no
> business or school could possibly have a use for Ubuntu.
>
> Matt Flaschen

OK, I get the joke, maybe I exaggerated. Only people who actually need
to use a functional database will have a problem. But 99% of people in
businesses only need email, word processors and spreadsheets, so it
should be ok.
As for schools, quite possibly, converting the official OOo RPMs to deb
(for OOo Base to work properly) can be an educating exercise.

Stratos

PS
Nagging aside, Feisty is great, by the way.